Double success for Freightliner at FIT Supply Chain Champion Awards
At a glittering event to mark the inaugural Freight Industry Times Supply Chain Champion Awards, Freightliner followed up its achievement in winning the Rail Freight Forwarder/Solutions Provider category by also being named as Supreme Champion.
Co-hosted by Zinc Media’s managing editor Louise Naughton, and Transaid’s chief executive Gary Forster, the awards’ evening took place at the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham. Besides helping to judge and present the awards, Gary outlined the charity’s work in Africa and how it makes a real difference. He also conducted a game of ‘Heads and Tails’ which, on the night, helped to raise £613 towards Transaid’s life-saving programmes.
Speaking to an attentive audience, Gary said: “With strong support from the UK transport and logistics industry we have been working to improve the training standards of two training facilities; one in Zambia and one in Tanzania, focusing on HGV, FLT and coach driver training.
“We have also delivered training in Uganda and are working to launch programmes in Malawi later this year. To date we’ve trained 25 driver trainers, who in turn trained nearly 7,000 truck, bus and forklift truck drivers, making roads in Africa safer and ultimately reducing the high death toll in the countries where we work.
“Transaid can’t do the work it does without the help of our corporate industry supporters consistently investing their annual donations towards the impact that Transaid is making. Our 30 corporate members not only provide us with funding, but also with professional expertise through the secondment of technical volunteers and graduates.”
Selected by the judging panel from a host of nominees the winning companies in each category were:
• Road Freight Solutions Provider: DHL
• Road Freight Operator of the Year: Turners Distribution
• Rail Freight Operator of the Year: DB Cargo UK
• Rail Freight Forwarder/Solutions Provider: Freightliner
• Air Cargo Forwarder/Solutions Provider: IBS Software Services
• Commercial Port Award: Associated British Ports – Port of Southampton
• Maritime Shipper of the Year: Evergreen Shipping Agency
• Warehousing Award: AV Dawson
• Training Provider of the Year (all sectors): Freightsafe
• Customer Services Award (all sectors): AFerryFreight
• Environmental Consideration Award (all sectors): Priority Freight
• Technical Innovation Award: 3T Logistics
• Multi-modal Award: Close Brothers Asset Finance
• Supreme Champion: Freightliner
Posted on: April 18th 2016